Introduction

These are the inner workings and thoughts of a young man's life. Problems, goals, observations, opinions, triumphs...these will all be portrayed as they are seen through my eyes. As these entries grow in numbers, I hope you all enjoy and take something away from them. Whether you take away something positive or something negative, I hope these words will affect your life in someway.

-Trent Jensen

7.15.2011

When Life Kicks Punch Back

I have recently developed a form of trigger finger...and it is indeed an actual diagnosis.  From what I understand trigger finger is a form of tendinitis...and for those that know me you understand how much of an inconvenience this is.  Many, if not all, of my releases from stress and life require my left hand...guitar...canyoneering...fishing...etc.
When I was first told of my condition I didn't really know how to react.  Will my hand ever recover?  Will I ever be able to enjoy my hobbies again?  Questions were flooding my mind...and later that day it all hit me...it's very possible that I won't ever get my hand back.

While I was driving home that night I realized how I truly felt.  While many of my passions depend on the use of my left hand I found joy in the fact that my daily needs and happiness were not affected by this unholy condition.  I could still move forward in my career...I could still be a great friend, brother, and son...I could still drive...I could still communicate...so why was I depressed?  Sure, I can't play guitar like I could a month before...but I can learn another way to play and I can help others play.  

The title of this entry states that when life kicks you to punch back...do you?  Everyday I see people affected by trivial matters that send them spiraling into a depression or mood that is very destructive and everyday I can name several things that those people have that they don't realize.  If your boyfriend breaks up with you then he obviously wasn't the right guy for you.  If you lost your job gather your resources and find another.  Anyway you look at it you can always correct your situation...and more importantly when you truly analyze the situation you will find that you lost absolutely nothing.

People never realize what they have in front of them.  They get so caught up in a superficial state of mind where looks, job, car, house, friends, etc. all describe and depict who you are and how successful you are.  Does any of that really matter?  Do you think that driving a Porsche makes you happy?  Do you think that because Mr. Johnson lives in a mansion that he is happier than you?
When life kicks you by throwing you unexpected and painful events punch back.  Right in the face.  Hard.  Life deserves it.  What right does life have telling you how to feel?  There is always positive and there is always a state of happiness...you just have to look for it.  

The more you punch back the more you will realize what is important...family, friends, living....you don't have to KO life...but learning the proper defensive techniques will sure save you from a lot of painful injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment